Parsons Family and Friends
|Home||News||Photos||Genealogy||Writings||Music||Family History||Links||Guestbook: add news|
Annesley Coat of ArmsArms: Paly of six, argent and azure: over all a bend gules.
Crest. - A Moor's head in profile couped proper, wreathed about the temples argent and azure.
Annesleys as Rectors and Lord of the ManorThe Reverend Arthur Annesley was both squire and vicar of Clifford Chambers, near Stratford on Avon, during the 19th century.
Read on here.
Descendants of the Annesleys of Clifford Chambers helped to lead Evensong on Candlemas, 30th January 2005 in the village church. The sermon by David Parsons is here.
Country Life ran a piece on the Manor House of Clifford Chambers on 4th August 1928.
Read it here.
An Annesley as author - of a kindGeorgina Cecilia Annesley, under her married name Ball-Acton, wrote a sentimental story for the Wild Flower Magazine. Read it here.
Her niece Mrs Dent, nee Annesley, had founded the Wild Flower Society.
Martin Annesley, a Rector with good handwritingThe Reverend Arthur Annesley's father was a clergyman, and so was his grandfather Martin in the 18th century. We read that: Martin Annesley kept the Parish Registers with great care and wrote the entries in beautiful handwriting. He made an interesting entry on September 12, 1734. 'I went to Beedon in this County and Baptized Richard, the son of the Rev. Thomas Gardner and Mary his wife - being their twenty-fifth child within the space of seventeen years marriage. Martin Annesley, Vicar.'
Read more about him here.
Early history of the Annesley familyFrom the web site of the Irish News on Castlewellan.
Francis Annesley, M.P. of Thorganby, Yorkshire, and Castlewellan, Co Down became one of 13 English ‘Trustees’ who benefited from the ‘forfeiture’ of Irish Estates by an English Act of Resumption passed in 1700.
The founding of the Irish branch of the family is generally attributed to Francis Annesley, later Sir Francis, who by Royal grant, and also by purchases, acquired estates in 15 counties. He was Secretary of State in Ireland, Treasurer and Receiver- General of Irish Revenues and he also became Viscount Valentia in Co. Kerry and Baron Mountnorris in Co. Armagh. Among the many Royal grants received by him was the Manor of Cloughmaghericatt (now Clough) in Co. Down near the site of Castlewellan town, and the Castlewellan Estate of the Magennis Clan comprising the townlands of Backaderry, Ballymagreehan, Ballymaginaghy, Benraw, Castlewellan, Clarkill (alias Clarehill), Legananny, Leitrim, Magheramoyo, Slievenabloey, and Slieveniskey. This did not include the Newcastle, Rathfriland (Bannfield), and other County Down estates also granted to the Francis Annesley.
Richard born in 1628 was the first Annesley to appear in Co Down. He was among a group of ten thousand Scots and English sent to Ireland by the English Crown (the Adventurers). Prior to receiving the Irish estates in Co Down the Annesley’s settled near Clough about five miles from Castlewellan.
His descendant also Francis Annesley acquired the property at Castlewellan in 1741 and from that date onwards began to shape the estate as it is today. The Annesley’s built a six foot high wall round the estate (the wall is still largely intact 260 years later in the year 2001), reckoned to be nine miles long. Local labour was employed to build the wall, and were paid one shilling (five pence) per day and sixpence (two and a half pence) plus a whack of a stick on the rump of the horse by men standing every hundred yards or so, and known as whipper ins. Inside the walls the Annsley’s planted out the whole area with trees and the outlines of the small confiscated farms are still evident at the start of the 21st century.
Francis Annesley, the first owner of the new Annesley estate died in 1750. His sixth son, William, MP for Middleton in Yorkshire England was created Baron Glerawly and he made Castlewellan his principal residence constructing a house and laying out a formal park, at the same time as the town was built on the demense perimeter. This early Annesley residence was probably located close to the Grange Yard (now the site of the Forest Park car park) which housed the Annesley farm and stable yard. Later in the 1790s the Annesley’s built a new residence in the Castlewellan Estate – a single storey Regency villa on the north shore of the lake known as Castlewellan Cottage. In 1751 Mrs. Delaney wife of the Dean of Down who was at Mount Panther (near Dundrum County Down) wrote that "the Annesleys had walled in and planted with oak 350 acres of ground for a park. Near them is a large bleach yard and Mr. Annesley is going to build a town".